Hangars No. Two and Three
The following text was taken, with permission, from James R. Shock's book, American Airship Bases & Facilities.
Lakehurst was the only operating naval airship station prior to our entry into World War II. The airship inventory consisted of ten airships: The TC-13 and TC-14 transferred from the Army in 1937, the primary training airships L-1, L-2 and L-3, the advanced training airship G-1 and four K-type airships. The K-type airships were the only airships that could be considered modern (K-2 constructed in 1938 and K-3 through K-5 in 1941. Hangar No. One was used to house the airships and the non-rigid hangar (later No. Four) was used for free balloons, training and storage.
As part of the original pre-war six-airship construction program, Hangars No. Two and Three (with by-passing sliding doors) were begun.
Hangar No. Two was the first airship hangar to be erected for the Navy since the Sunnyvale hangar of 1933 and was intended as an overhaul and fitting-out facility. Construction was started 24 June 1941 and completed 13 May 1942. Hangar No. Three was designated for the use of training airships and was started 1 August 1941 and completed 30 June 1942. Both hangars were erected by the Duffy Construction Co., of New York City and are located next to and south of Hangar No. One.
[ Home ]
[ About NLHS ] [ Membership ]
[ NLHS Officers ] [ Newsletter
] [ Tours ]